Do you ever feel like a Family Circus cartoon at the grocery store? Zigzagging up and down the aisles, crisscrossing the store as you discover items on your list that you already passed? There is a better way! Have you ever tried sorting your grocery list based on the area, or aisle of the store? This process does require some work up front. But, it will save you time and money on all your future shopping trips. No need to retrace your steps, and maybe impulsively purchase unnecessary things. Here are a few steps to try the next time you sit down to write out your list.
- Choose which store you will be using.
- Think about the layout of the store as you physically walk through it. I like to think of this as "virtual shopping".
- Write down the sections of the store as you come upon them. Some categories could include:
*Produce, Frozen, Dairy, Meat, Canned/Dry Goods, Baking, Snacks, Beverages
- Leave some room beneath each category for your needed items to be filled in. Pen and paper works great here. Or, there are also a multitude of apps which can make this a snap. A couple of my favorite list-making apps are Cozi and Wunderlist.
- Write down your needed grocery items beneath each category.
- Head to the store!
- As you shop the store, take note of any additional categories (and their location) that you may have forgotten. You can add these to your master list.
- Voila! You now have a customized grocery list laid out by location. Use this for future shopping trips and save yourself time, money and frustration.